Friday, July 26, 2013

The Vegan Wedding Cake


Eleven months ago, my friend asked me to make her wedding cake. Honored and excited to be asked I said yes! 
Then she told me it would be vegan. 

It felt like a a fool's errand, making a dairy-free wedding cake. Cakes are so good because they have milk and butter, right?! 
I was the biggest skeptic. How was I going to pull this off? 
The recipe search kicked into gear in January. Vegan cookbooks were purchased (thanks, Aunt B!) and countless vegan blogs were read. After a cake tasting to narrow down a cake in April and a practice wedding cake and subsequent eating party in early June, I felt ready for the late June ceremony.

I'm happy to say the cake impressed this skeptic.

It was all hands on deck during the setup.
I made an extra sheet cake for easy slicing.
The final product!
The recipe is the same chocolate cake I published in the Vegan Cake Tasting post from April, found here. 
If you need any cake recipes, vegan or otherwise, you know I'm your girl.

The happy couple!
Stephanie, thank you for asking me to make this cake. You pushed me to do something challenging and new. I'm so happy I was able to share in your special day. xo


5 comments:

  1. Nice post! Your cake appearance gorgeous! i really like the sprinkles, the ice-cream toppers, and therefore the flavor of the butter cream - YUM!! I wholly trust you that typically baking has to simply be simple.The cakes square measure lovely and well structured. The creativeness is wow! i might like to have one created for my day. wedding cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. How far ahead did you make it? Did it withstand freezing? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in a similar situation and I'm having trouble finding a vegan white buttercream. All my recipies turn out off white. Did you use clear vanilla? What did you use for your fat? I've seen half and half mix of earthbalance and veg. Shortening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to jog my memory a couple years out... but I used Madagascar vanilla. I used the following frosting recipe, just multiplied out to fit the needs to two large cakes:

      "Buttercream" Frosting
      ½ cup margarine, at room temp
      ½ cup shortening, at room temp
      1 tsp vanilla
      3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
      as much non-dairy milk as needed/desired

      Delete
  4. can you post your recipe for you cake

    ReplyDelete