Sunday, March 24, 2013

French Onion Soup

Need some lovin'? A little comforting? Have some soup!


About a year and a half ago I had the pleasure of having lunch at the International Culinary Center in New  York. My friend Devin and I enjoyed some great food, French Onion soup being the highlight. Ever since then I've been waiting to make it myself. And now, here it is, my attempt at the Frenchman's staple.

This soup is rather simple. You need lots of onions - I apologize for the tears you will shed when the slicing and dicing portion comes around - and beef broth. That's pretty much it.

Hope you enjoy this delicious soup! I know I am!


French Onion Soup
    from Winter Monroe

**I chilled the soup over night and then reheated it 20 minutes before serving. Really brought out the flavors.

Ingredients
½ cup unsalted butter
4 large yellow onions, julienned
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup red wine
3 heaping tbsp flour
2 quarts beef broth
thick slices of French bread or croutons
½ lb. grated Gruyere


Directions
Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions. 


As the onions begin to caramelize, add in the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and golden, about 25 minutes.


Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs.
Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 5-10 minutes. 



Lastly, add the beef broth and bring the soup back to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Before serving, preheat the broiler. Ladle the soup into bowls, ramekins work perfectly,  top each with a slice of bread (or some croutons) and grated cheese. Place the ramekins below the broiler and cook until the cheese has melted and it browning.




I am going to pat myself on the shoulder for this one. 
The soup is so flavorful, it smells amazing, and it's really not that hard to make. 
This would make a great first course, 
or pour yourself a large bowl, grab a hunk of bread and settle down for a comfy, cozy night in.

J'espère que vous apprécierez!

No comments:

Post a Comment