Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pesto

Fresh basil is one of my favorite scents. I buy enough to keep a small bouquet out on the kitchen counter. 
I love it that much. 

Making Pesto

Ingredients
lots and lots of basil, for this I used 2 bunches
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup olive oil, about
a handful of pine nuts
a small handful of Parmigiano-Reggiano
some salt

Put all these ingredients in a Cuisinart and blend together until smooth.


You don't want your pesto too runny, rather a creamy paste. 

Pesto originated in Genoa, in northern Italy. Serve with your choice of pasta, the Genoese would pair pesto with a trofie, a small twisted noodle made by hand. Since practically no one makes homemade noodles anymore (although it's really fun and it tastes great) I'd recommend a gemelli, penne, or fusilli noodle as similar substitutes. 

On weeknights I do not always feel up to boiling water and cooking noodles, so instead I made some grilled sandwiches with pesto. 

Dinner last week - Pesto & Tomato Grilled Cheese

Afternoon snack - Pesto & Parmigiano-Reggiano on toast

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment